Props to these Northgate high students in Walnut Creek who started a company and then donated their profits to the Monument Crisis Center in Concord!
From an email:
My name is Miguel Ramos and I am a rising senior at Northgate High School. I am part of a program called Junior Achievement and along with 16 other students from Northgate and other schools in the area, we founded a start-up company called Fleece Bay, a nod to East Bay. We would hold weekly meetings at the AAA at Walnut Creek with guidance from employees of AAA and Junior Achievement. Through preorders, Fleece Bay was able to sell 75 blankets in a span of two weeks earning us a revenue over $2,000. We would spend our weekends manufacturing these blankets and delivering the blankets to our customers. We would then take part in “Junior Achievement’s Company of the Year Competition” against other companies in Northern California. We were awarded with the Best Business Plan Award and came second in the Best Commercial Award. We finally liquidated Fleece Bay in July and in August we donated all of our profits to our local charity, the Monument Crisis Center at Concord.Continue Reading
The Walnut Creek Police Department and CC Fire Department will be conducting training at BroadwayPlaza from 10pm-2am. The training area is marked and partial lane closures along Broadway, Newell, and Mt. Diablo surrounding the plaza will also be marked. Please stay away from the area during this important training.
In a world of organic, nitrogen-churned, hand-crafted $6 ice cream cones, it’s good to know simple $2 ice cream cones are out there. On a hot summer day in Concord I really enjoyed this $2.19 chocolate fudge cone. No hiding of kid sizes like I’ve seen elsewhere. It may not be fancy-shmancy ice cream with a story, but it sure did taste good on a hot summer day… 🙂
NBC Bay Area reports that a huge blaze in downtown Lafayette has destroyed the buildings housing the Chamber of Commerce, La Finestra Ristorante and other businesses. Check out the article for video of the blaze:
Damage was estimated at around $1.1 million, according to the Contra Costa County Fire Department, and the building was a “total loss.” The structure also housed a nail salon, a certified public accountant’s office and the popular La Finestra Ristorante.
Nearby apartments were evacuated because of radiant heat from the fire and propane tanks exploding at the restaurant, fire officials said.
A witness reported flames that reached between 100 and 150 feet high.
Check out these new street signs in downtown Concord; they’re GIGANTIC! Props to whoever was responsible for getting these put up, other cities should follow suit, or at least make sure there are street signs. Sometimes I’ll be on a corner trying to figure out what’s the cross street without any visible sign, even on the other three corners. Very annoying!
Earlier this week we saw a great sign by Ministry of Supply, Beat the 102° Heat. The other day I was in Broadway Plaza again in sweltering heat trying to stay hydrated and alive while strolling around when I spotted this sign at True Religion: BRING THE HEAT
Now Beat the Heat make sense to me, but Bring the Heat? No thanks, I don’t want to bring it at all. Unless they mean, bring us your overheated body inside our store so we can cool you off!